How To Replace The Flint On Your Zippo
Flints are something that need to be replaced, approximately every few weeks for an average user.
To replace the flint we need to remove it from the flint tube:
1. First, remove the inside unit from the case.
2. Turn it over and unscrew the flint spring using a small screwdriver or a coin. Slowly remove the spring. The spring has tension so be sure the spring doesn’t fly away.
3. Turning the inside unit right side up again, remove the remaining piece of flint, if any, by gently tapping the inside unit on a hard surface. Remove any stubborn flint slivers or residue with an unfolded paperclip.
4. Insert a new flint in the brass-colored flint tube. Be sure not to confuse the brass tip on the end of the flint spring. Even though it looks like a flint, it is not a flint.
5. Replace the flint spring and turn clockwise until tight. Important Tip: Be sure the screw is tightened so the lid can fully close. A tight seal will help delay the lighter fluid’s evaporation. Retighten if the lid does not close.
6. If the flint wheel binds after a new flint is installed, turn the wheel backwards a few times.
7. Tip: You can keep extra flints under the felt pad for future use.