5 Amazing Fresh Water Fish Recipes
We never get sick of being introduced to new fish recipes from our great Zippo Outdoor Field Staff. Try these incredible recipes next time you come home from a good day out fishing. The best thing about these recipes, besides being delicious, they are easy and quick to make. We promise to stop posting amazing fish recipes when you stop making them.
Pan Fried Perch
This fish recipe involves bacon. Who doesn’t love bacon? Originally published on rodale.com.
- 2 bacon strips
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 skinless fresh perch fillets (about 5 ounces each), each about ½" thick
- ¼ cup soy flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 lemon wedges
- Cook the bacon in a large, heavy skillet over low heat until crisp, 10 to 14 minutes, turning once or twice. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate, reserving no more than 1 tablespoon of the fat in the pan.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg and water. In another bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Coat the fish with the flour, then dip into the egg mixture and coat with the cornmeal, lightly pressing to help the coating stick. Arrange in a single layer on a large plate and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or up to 60 minutes to help the coating adhere.
- Heat the oil in the same skillet with the bacon fat over medium heat. Add the fish, round side down, without crowding. Cook until golden brown and crisp on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook until browned on the outside and opaque inside, 2 to 4 minutes more. (If necessary cook in two batches, keeping the first batch warm in a 250°F oven on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.)
- Crumble the bacon over the top and serve with the lemon wedges for squeezing.
Brenda’s Super Duper Salmon Dip
This simple recipe makes a delicious snack in minutes the whole family can enjoy.
- 1 jar (1/2 pint) smoked salmon, drained & flaked
- 3 cups or so of soft cream cheese
- Chopped onion to taste
- Fire roasted jalepenos to taste
- Simply mix all ingredient together and let sit in the fridge for an hour before serving.
Holly’s Fish Tacos
This recipe makes the best of left over fried fish. No point in wasting leftovers.
- Leftover fried fish
- Canola oil
- Red pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime
- Chili powder
- Black pepper
- Tequila (optional)
- Thinly sliced green cabbage
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Fresh sliced Jalapeños
- Shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Coarsely chop about 3-4 cups of fried fish and set aside.
- Chop up ½ onion, 3 parts fresh garlic, and 1 small red pepper.
- In a medium skillet sauté the vegetables in ¼ cup of canola oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped fish to the pan and continue to sauté.
- Coarsely chop the fresh cilantro and cut lime in half.
- Add the cilantro and squeeze in the juice of ½ of lime. Stir. Add 2tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder and ½ tsp black pepper.
- Continue to cook and stir for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1½ oz. of tequila. (Optional).
- Simmer on low for a few minutes and then keep warm.
- Add mixture to taco shells and build your taco with assorted toppings.
Smoked Salmon Spread
This recipe is guaranteed to impress the salmon lovers of your family.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, drained
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, minced
- Cream the cheese in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until just smooth.
- Add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, horseradish, salt, and pepper.
- Add the smoked salmon and mix well.
- Chill and serve with crudites or crackers.
- I smoke my own salmon, using apple wood, and prep the salmon with Morton's smoke flavored sugar cure, but commercial smoked salmon will work.
Brenda’s Super Salmon Burgers
Have you ever made salmon burgers? They are delicious!
- 1 pint jar canned salmon, drained & flaked
- ½ - 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 TBS horseradish sauce
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 TSP sugar
- Combine mixture. Mix well. Shape into patties.
- In skillet, cook over medium heat in melted butter until browned on each side.
- Serve on hamburger buns with caramelized onions.
- Melt butter in separate skillet for the caramelized onions.
- Stir in sugar, and add onions.
- Stir often to keep from burning.
- Cook until golden brown.